The reasons for a MTBE treatment

What are the reasons for using a MTBE treatment? Why would it be used? The answer is fairly straightforward. MTBE is a substance that contaminates water and soil. In both of these it behaves differently. In soil for example, contrary to other contaminates, MTBE moves quickly. So it reaches deeper levels of the soil sooner and can reach the groundwater. As anyone can imagine this is non-desirable. A MTBE treatment is used to biodegrade MTBE and rapidly and economically remove it from water and soil to undetectable levels. Spills in the soil involving MTBE usually requires a much more aggressive treatment than spills involving gasoline for example.

Saving the environment with MTBE treatment

A MTBE treatment is not an easy task, but worthwhile since it results in a cleaner environment. It can even save the environment from severe contamination. MTBE is also called methyl tert-butyl ether and coming into contact with water or soil it renders it dangerous for the health of humans and animals. Water becomes non-potable and soil useless for growing plants/crops etc. MTBE is manufactured via a chemical reaction of methanol and isobutylene. The first one is acquired via natural gasses and isobutylene is derived from butane. In other words, it’s derived from fossil fuels. A MTBE treatment has a very high separation performance and low energy consumption. It’s also quite cost competitive. Therefore it’s an interesting treatment with which the environment can be saved or at least the effects can be mitigated.

When use a MTBE treatment?

A MTBE treatment is usually used when soil or water is contaminated by methyl tert-butyl ether. MTBE is an organic compound and is volatile, flammable, and a colorless liquid. This liquid however is soluble in water. Usually it’s used as a gasoline additive to raise the octane number. It helps the gasoline burn more completely and is a low cost liquid. Also it’s used as a soluble in labs, because it’s a fairly polar ether and has a reduced tendency to form explosive organic peroxides. It’s usually safe for years. However if this liquid hits the soil or drinking water, a MTBE treatment is advisable to make sure the water for example stays potable.